Pret a Manger death – Mum sobs as British Airways crew tells how landing ‘took priority’ over using defibrillator to save daughter, 15, who died from allergic reaction


A MUM sobbed as British Airways crew described how landing the plane took “priority” over using a defibrillator to save her teen daughter.

Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, 15, died from an allergic reaction after eating an artichoke, olive and tapenade baguette from Pret a Manger, collapsing while on a flight from London to Nice.

The young girl had bought the baguette as she passed through Heathrow Airport’s Terminal 5 in July 2016, with an inquest launched into her death.

Read: Millionaire toy tycoon’s daughter, 15, dies after collapsing on British Airways flight after allergic reaction to Pret a Manger sandwich

Head of BA cabin crew John Harris today explained to West London Coroner’s Court why staff on the plane had not gone to get the defibrillator when the teen went into cardiac arrest minutes before landing.

Natasha’s mother, Tanya, wept in court and was comforted by other family members as Mr Harris said: “Without sounding harsh, the coverage of doors takes priority.”

He explained that it was a formal requirement of his training to ensure cabin crew were in position on landing so they could get passengers off the aircraft in case of an emergency.

“There were only five cabin crew on that particular flight and the aircraft had four sets of doors, totalling eight doors, and one cabin crew member was out of action.

“So we literally had the minimum number of crew to cover those doors,” he said.

The teenager suffered from numerous allergies and reacted badly to sesame seeds “hidden” in the bread, which caused her throat to tighten and vicious red hives to flare up across her midriff, eventually triggering cardiac arrest.

The inquest heard that a defibrillator was used on Natasha after landing when Nice paramedics arrived.

The teen told her distraught father she “could not breathe” after she ate the sandwich.

Dad Nadim Ednan-Laperouse, a millionaire owner of Wow Toys from Fulham, tried to save the schoolgirl by giving her two doses of drugs and administering an EpiPen, but she died later in a hospital in France.

The court previously heard how the devastated dad called her mother and brother in the UK and put the phone to Natasha’s ear so they could “say goodbye”, moments before she passed away.

Read full originally published story  here

Leave a Reply